Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

View from the Riser - My lowdown on NYFW continues


by Milisuthando Bongela, Fashion Journalist

Pictures: Milisuthando Bongela

The Media and Celebrities

When the news of Alexander McQueen’s death broke out on the first day of fashion week, I was spot marking at Richard Chai’s Love show and in the next room, Anna Wintour had just ran out of the BCBG MaxAzria show after receiving a text of the news. This obviously created attention and by the time we got out of the show, the air in the lobby was thick with “Did you hear’s” and OMG’s! I was on a strict no lingering diet and had to dash off to the next show, but from what I could see and according to fashion week regulars, that first day was sombre compared to previous seasons. It’s always amazing to see people you always see on TV, magazines and newspapers, especially when you have a deep respect for their work. I was the first spot marker to arrive at the Chado Ralph Rucci show and had an All Access badge, meaning I could go anywhere in the venue. This kind of opportunity isn’t an every day occurrence so I was all over the venue like bubbles in bubbly. Please note that by day two I already knew the uniform: all black and a “I know what I’m doing” look on my face, so when I went backstage I was in my New York uniform…and secretly praying nobody would kick me out.


Sasha Pivovarova - Hair and Make Up Rag and Bone

Liz from Video Fashion - my producer.

Backstage at Rag and Bone. I saw so many famous hair and make-up artists I usually see on The Style Network and E! at this show.


The first person I saw a mere metre away from me was the towering Vogue Editor-at-Large, Andre Leon Talley and I proceeded to let out an audible gasp before calmly scurrying off in the opposite direction on realising that he may have seen my surprised glee. After returning to my marked Video Fashion spot, I also saw Patti Smith, Whoopi Goldberg, Martha Stewart, Nicole Phelps, Miss Jay from America’s Next Top Model and one of the most highly respected fashion journalists in the world, Suze Menkes.


Whoopi Goldberg - people wouldn't stop taking pictures of her.

Suze Menkes - She's one of these most respected (mostly by me) fashion journalists in the world. I wish you could see her hairstyle.

Martha Stewart - honestly the clothes in this show were for the older market.


Andre Leon Talley - Vogue's Editor-At-Large

The combination of celebrities and famous media personalities at these shows adds credibility to the designer as well as the newsworthiness that keeps the media and fashion mills running at parallels with one another. The most important is obviously the presence of the world’s best editors and journalists – these are the people who shape our perceptions of shows, trends and designers.


Look out for Monday's post about the The Shows: Models and The Runway at New York Fashion Week

No comments:

Post a Comment