Pages

Friday, November 20, 2009

Take Eight - Nine Takes, The Fashion Fusion Project

“The craft project allowed me to add more intricacy to my garments, while crafters gained practical business experience in the world of fashion. Crafting is a manual skill. The crafters have great expertise, and as a designer you need to mentor them to achieve the desired result. The final results were more than I could have imagined. The finishes were up to the calibre of any boutique in Europe. I enjoy beading I have now hired a full-time crafter to add that extra touch that makes each garment an individual one-off piece. They become pieces of art. After my fi rst collaboration on the project I received a large export order from Los Angeles, which we believe will lead to more success. tremendously, since taking part in the DAC Fashion Fusion Project.” – designer Sanché Frolich – Story

“My aunt taught me to bead when I was small and I have beaded ever since. I love beading. For me it is like art, and I cannot go a day without beading. Now I lead a co-operative of six people called Mabogo-a-Dira. Sanché of Story had the brilliant idea of spreading beads over an entire dress, which I thought was excellent. I also beaded bibs. I thought about how I would use the colours with a lot of black and white before I started, because I must love something myself before the client can love it. Now she sometimes sends me unique blouses to bead with a photocopy of how she sees the work, which I then interpret.” – crafter Kefilwe Thlou

Extract taken from nineTAKES – The Fashion Fusion Project, published by Channel F Publishing, R200. Available: info@soda.co.za or on 011 442 7812

No comments:

Post a Comment