Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Take Five - Nine Takes, The Fashion Fusion Project


“TWIRLS, CURLS and POLKA DOTSSTRIPES, TIES and TIE-DYED spotsSTITCHESKissesFor a stoned missusCherryBerryPale blue and merry
MunroeConrowBig bows and AfrosDRESSCOATSLove boatsPLEATED SKIRTSAnd SCHOOL SHIRTS
‘HOGGAI!’they cryin STRIPED TIESand TIE-DYES‘no lies,it’s natural!’Cherrie TEXTURAL.in the luxury trainit all stays the samelavish loungingand LEATHER BINDINGROUGED PUFFSand BEADED CUFFS
FLARE goes her skirtas the mshoza says‘HOZA!’
COLOURED HOSESPetals and roses
Twirls, curls and polka dotsSWEET AUBERGINE andSPICY GREENSEXY swankingShe must be seen
On top of her gameAnd proud of her nameIn the luxury trainIt all stays the same.Twirls, curls and polka dotsFANCY CAPSFLAMBOYANT HATSTweeds, BEADSAnd TOP STITCHED SEAMSWith DESIGNER GLASSES sheReads
BOOTLEGGED ANDLOW-SLUNG‘HEY! EK IS NIE BANG!DIS DOUBLE DOLLY ONDER DIECORSET!’She’s ravishingReady to jet-set
Twirls, curls and polkadotsStripes, ties and tie-dyed spotsSTITCHES, kissesFor a stoned missusIn the LUXURY TRAINIt all stays the same
…nothing changesit all stays the same.spirit and essence


POEM by designer Nkhensani Nkosi – Stoned Cherrie

“In 1983 Anne Napolis came from India to our village Meokota as a missionary and taught me crafts. She also taught me batik and how to print on white material. But embroidering is part of my tradition and I make many things to decorate houses. I’m a Shangaan woman and like the Ndebele, I wear big rings. I work for Stoned Cherrie, which I enjoy, and embroidery is part of my culture. Sometimes my work is too traditional for them and we have to meet each other halfway. So they tell me what they want and what I learn I pass on to other crafters. We often apply beads to printed blouses.” - crafter Elisa Maluleke

Extract taken from nineTAKES – The Fashion Fusion Project, published by Channel F Publishing, R200. Available: info@soda.co.za or on 011 442 7812

No comments:

Post a Comment